The Lutheran Historical Society of the Mid-Atlantic was formed in 1989 as a reorganization of The Historical Society of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in North America begun in 1952 and of its predecessor organizations, the first of which was founded in 1843.
Spring Program/Luncheon/Annual Meeting: Apri1 16, 2013
The 2013 Spring Program/Luncheon/Annual Meeting will take place on Tuesday, April 16, 2013 at the Lutheran Theological Seminary at Gettysburg and will be part of a larger educational event entitled the Gettysburg Spring Academy. The title of this year’s program is “Faith on the Firing Line.” Our two speakers will be Barbara Franco, Founding Executive Director of Seminary Ridge Museum and Former Director of Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission. Her theme will be “Exploring Faith — Freedom at the Seminary Ridge Museum.” Following Barbara’s lecture, we will hear from Colonel W. Thomas Vossler, United States Army Infantry, Retired (1968-98), Military Historian and Lecturer at the Army War College, Carlisle, PA and Former Director of U. S. Army Military History Institute, Carlisle Barracks. Colonel Vossler will present “The Shepherds and Their Armed Flocks: Religion and Chaplains in the American Civil War.” The program begins in the Seminary Chapel at 9:00 with registration at 8:30 a.m.
Below is the Full Schedule:
- 8:30 a.m. – Registration and Coffee (Seminary Chapel)
- 9 a.m. – Welcome (Seminary Chapel)
- 9:15 a.m. – “Exploring Faith — Freedom at the Seminary Ridge Museum” — Barbara Franco
- 10:30 a.m. Break
- 10:45 a.m.: “The Shepherds and Their Armed Flocks: Religion and Chaplains in the American Civil War” — Thomas Vossler
- 11:55 a.m. – Worship (Seminary Chapel)
- 12:15 p. m. – Lunch & Annual Meeting (Coffee Shop, Valentine Hall)
- 1:30 p.m. – Exclusive Tour of Seminary Ridge Museum and Cupola (Optional) (Schmucker Hall)
Cost: $10 for the lectures, $15 for lunch.
Please note that to register for the Lutheran Historical Society event “Faith on the Firing Line” you must register using the Gettysburg Spring Academy brochure or website. Again, please register using the Gettysburg Spring Academy Brochure located below, or click here for online registration options.